Monday, June 30, 2014

My Favorite Song to Teach Tadimi in the Elementary Music Room


This is one of my favorite songs to teach (umm... I know I say that about every song. oh well!) - my students LOVE the game and it has a nice driving beat, which lends itself well to part-work.


Kinesthetic Prep
Pro tip: For the kinesthetic lesson, I have started using pointers that don't make any marks on my smart board. I know, I know - that makes it less interactive. But I found that my group of students pays more attention to the mark they were supposed to make (did it line up on the right horse? did it look like the other marks? what happened - it didn't make a mark at all!?) and they tune out the song.

I really want them to listen, (and I'm listening, too - assessment: check!) so I don't let them mark, especially the first time we go over the kinesthetic material.

Label the Sounds
After all that glorious prep (kinesthetic prep/aural questioning/creating a visual representation), we label the sounds. Immediately after labeling, I give the class a chance to echo me with the new rhythm syllable as a group. When I think they've got it, we play Kings and Queens.

Kings & Queens is a quick way to assess if your students are ready to move on to the notation stage of the presentation lesson.

I pull out the old bullseye (paper with a bullseye on it) and tell the class, "If you sing the correct rhythm syllables AND tap the rhythm in your hands correctly AND your voice hits the bullseye, you get to be a King or Queen of music for the day."

I take volunteers and they solo sing (assessment: check!) the new rhythmic phrase. If they are absolutely correct (I am SUPER picky with most classes) then I write their name on the board. That's it. So simple.

I did this with first and second grade for many years and this year, I tried it out with 4th and 5th and wholly guacamole, they ate it up!

You don't have to give them a prize or whatever, they just LOVE having their name on the board with the other kids that did it right.

Pro tip: I use my swirliest handwriting on the board for their names. "You're writing in cursive?" "Nope - just using my swirliest letters!"

What do I do with the kids that don't get it? I get super excited! I widen my eyes and say, "You are sooo close! I can't wait to hear you next time - I bet you'll get it!"

Present the Notation and Initial Practice
Next is present the notation. And on to the best part - practice the new rhythm. After reading the phrase, reading the whole song, etc., we're ready for part-work!

Part-Work Tips

When teaching part-work, it's important that students have complete independence on the melody and rhythm of the song before adding more parts. 

Once they can comfortably sing without my help (other than starting pitch), I will back away and listen. Then I say, "I'm going to try to trick you!" and I sing (softly) in canon or in the second part.

For Fed My Horse, I sing the B section while the class sings the A section. And then when they get to the B section, I go back and sing the A section.

After singing this once, I ask, "What did I do?" You'll get all kinds of answers, but keep pushing until someone can identify what you were doing (Singing the other section of the song at the same time). 

Have them listen one or two more times with me alone trying to trick them. THEN, I pick one student to come up to the front and sing with me (in canon, or matching my part). After we are able to do that successfully, I pull 3 or 4 kids to add to our little rebel group of tricksters. 

After having different small groups sing the canon or ostinato or part correctly, I say, "Let's see if we can have this half of the class sing first, and that half of the class sing with me. Don't get tricked!"

This can be done in so many different ways! First row versus the rest of the class, boys v. girls, etc. They LOVE to try to trick each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment