Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Children's Books in the Music Room: Back to School


I LOVE books and I LOVE using books in my elementary music classroom! I'd like to share all of the books that I use in my classroom, so I'm starting a series called, "Children's Books in the Music Room."

I have so many books to share, but I have to start somewhere, so I'm starting with Kindergarten at the beginning of school. My favorite illustrator, Steven Kellogg, teamed up with author Jane Bayer to create a great alphabet book with a beat.


A My Name is Alice is a fantastic way to start the year in music. The first few times I see Kindergarten, I ask the students what songs they already know. We sing songs like Twinkle, Twinkle, Jesus Loves Me and the ABC's. So, this is perfect for after they sing the ABC song. 

I'm sure there are many alphabet books out there, but this one does a spectacular job keeping the beat: "A my name is Alice and my husband's name is Alex. We come from Alaska and we sell ants." 


Even X gets a turn - Xena and Xavier are from Planet Xigert and sell Xofersizers!

And of course, the pictures are fantastic; my students love the detail. I think I have all of the Steven Kellogg books out there!

What's your favorite book to use in your classroom?

Let’s Connect!





1 comment:

  1. Really like the look of that book - I'll have to search it out. Thanks for sharing!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete