Saturday, April 19, 2014

What's going on in my classroom?

Last week my first graders visually prepared "la." I love this part of the unit because it shows me exactly who "gets it" and who doesn't.

My students get four unifix cubes and are instructed to "create a representation of phrase one of Bounce High." We have already tapped the beach ball contour on the smart board, gone over aural questioning and even placed magnet beach balls on the board. This is the last step in the preparation stage and most of them get it.



This is a great chance for the ones that don't understand to get some one-on-one time with me. I go around and sing the way their blocks
would sound and help them find the correct contour. (If that doesn't fix it, we go back and do our kinesthetic activities again!)


Have I mentioned I LOVE unifix cubes?! They are perfect for rhythmic units, especially, since you can connect the blocks and make "longer" and "shorter" sounds.

What is your favorite manipulative?


No comments:

Post a Comment