Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Hug!

One of my favorite things to do is play music games with my students. Building relationships is so important as a teacher, maybe even the most important thing that we do. You might be the only adult in their life that cares enough to play a game with them. 

My students love to play Cut the Cake (Clap Your Hands Together)! It's a fantastic game that we learn in 1st grade and continue through 5th grade. One student walks around the circle until the end of the song. On the last beat, the student "slices"the cake between two students. Those two students then race around the circle, until they get back to their spot.

Today I was playing with group and I was sliced! I ran around the circle and tied with the girl I was racing. In my class, we do "rock, paper, scissors" in case of a tie. We faced each other. Rock-Paper-Scissors ---- ROCK! Tie. Rock-Paper-Scissors ---- ROCK! Tie again! 5 "rock" ties later, I snuck in a paper and the class went wild when I won! The girl was a very good sport and we shared a hug. It was a great day with a normally argumentative group. 

There are so many things you can teach through simple music games: good sportsmanship, working together, kindness, supporting each other. I love teaching music, but more than teaching music, I teach life.

Let’s Connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment