Saturday, March 26, 2016

Tideo Makeover & Singing in Canon

Happy Spring Break! I've been working hard updating products and formatting my resources to make them easier to use in my classroom - and yours!


So What's New? 
First, I'm using a new method for flattening my jpeg images to make each page load faster.

Second, I'm trying to streamline my "look" so that the products have a cohesive feel. *giggle* Really, I just like buying clipart! :-) Hello, my name is Lori and I am a clipart addict.

Check out Tideo's new look! 


Let's talk about Tideo!

I use Tideo in my classroom for practicing sixteenth notes (takadimi) and do pentatonic, after teaching "re."

First, teach the game - it's always a hit!

Here's how I teach the game:
1. Once the song can be sung independently, I have students face the middle of our circle and perform the hand motions for the word, 'Tideo.' (pat-clap-both)
2. Then we "domino" into partners around the circle and practice the hand motions with our partner. (Just pat-clap-both at this point)
3. Next, I have one of the partners form the inside circle, and practice the hand claps a few more times.
<The next week/day>
4. After we are solidly singing and clapping, I have the inside circle take a knee. The outside circle can see each other better this way! I say, "Outside circle, point to the person on your right." After checking that they are correctly pointing around the circle counterclockwise, I say, "Now point at their shoes. That's where your shoes are going to be in just a second when I say 'Go.'"
5. Have students move to the next person in the circle, resume practicing hand clapping pattern on the word 'Tideo.'
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you've sung several times.
7. Somewhere in those repetitions, stop having the inside circle squat down. When they are ready, say, "FREEZE" after the first phrase. Then have students move to the next person. Start singing the second phrase, then call out, "FREEZE!" after the second phrase. Have students move to the next person, start singing on the third phrase, then finish the song.

At this point, I stop the game and have the class watch as I demonstrate what we just did (moving to a new person at the beginning, and after the first and second phrases, on the word, 'Pass.'). Then we try it as a group.

8. When we try it as a group, I call out, "MOVE!" on the word 'Pass,' until they really internalize that we only move on the word pass. Generally my classes get it after that and I just emphasize the word 'pass' while they sing the rest of the song.

My students LOVE this and sometimes we just stop there. But some classes can handle a little more (or by bringing it back the next year, we can add more!).

9. On the 'B' section, have students trade places with their partner on 'Jingle at the Window.' Eventually after a ton of practice, we switch to a wring the dishrag motion for 'Jingle at the Window.'

Shew! That seems like a lot when I write it out!

What do you do to teach Tideo?


For my resource update, I also added new slides for spurring your improvisation practice; my students love coming up with new places and things to pass and new nonsense syllables to say at the end.

This is a great song to do in canon as well. You can do it in huge chunks (Group A start on the A section, Group B start on the B section) or do a true canon, starting after 1, 2 or 4 beats.

When I teach a canon, I always use a song that the students know independently. I have them sing by themselves while I sing in canon. After they identify that I'm singing the same thing as them, but at a different time, I have a small group (2-4 students) come stand by me and sing with me, in canon. After doing this successfully, I break the class into 2 groups and have one group sing the song independently, while the other group sings with me in canon.

Eventually you can have the two groups performing in canon without you while you add a third part to the canon, an ostinato or sing in harmony with them! The possibilities are endless.

I am in love with the new look! Thanks to Melonheadz for the super cute kid clipart.

Let’s Connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment