Monday, August 11, 2014

$2 Tuesday Music Flash Sale, Some Teacher Tips & New Discounted Bundles

It's $2 Tuesday again! Search for $2TuesdayMusicFlashSale on Teachers Pay Teachers and you'll find a list of items that are normally $4-5 that are $2 on Tuesday ONLY.

I spent this last week setting up my class with my sweet mom and sweet aunt (more on that later!) and now I have a list of things a mile long that I need for my classroom. Just in time for MusicFlashSale!!! Woohoo!

It's time to stock up on great music-specific items on TPT!


I am so excited to include my new Syncopation bundle in the $2 Tuesday extravaganza. This bundle includes "Canoe Round" (prepare and present syncopa) and "Land of the Silver Birch" (practice syncopa).

 


I recently added Canoe Round to my store - it's my focus song for syncopation and I can't wait to use this newly designed slides in my class. I've been using old SMART board files with lines for practice and blah black-and-white design.

Here are some of my new super cute slides for Canoe Round:


This slide is for conducting to the beat - in my Kodaly levels, Phil Tacka made an impression on me by saying, "Students must conduct their way through syncopation." I have it written in my Kodaly Today book on the Syncopation page! "Ha!"

I have found this to be absolutely true. I have my students conduct on the back of their chairs, so they are actually receiving kinesthetic feedback for the beat as they conduct. Standing behind the chairs, conduct and lightly tap the chair at the ictus.

If you have a music stand, you can have one student "lead" by standing in front. A marker in hand helps make a nice metallic sound as the hands hit the ictus on the music stand. Or an old baton if you don't care about fiberglass splinters *shudder*.
Here's the target phrase that gets tapped one at a time at the board. Yes every student. Yes this takes a while. Yes it is worth it. Yes and amen!

You can also have them practice beat and the rhythm at the same time by getting into pairs, one behind the other. The person behind gets to tap the rhythm on the front person's shoulder. The person in front taps the beat on their other shoulder. Then they switch. This helps them FEEL the difference between the beat and rhythm. And it's quite a challenge if they've never done it before! (higher level thinking: check!)



Here's a sample of one of the part-work challenges for initial practice, with beat and rhythm. On group conducts the beat while singing the words, the other group taps the rhythm in their hands while singing rhythm syllables. Don't forget to switch!

Also included in my syncopation bundle is my "Land of the Silver Birch." I LOVE this song. My kids LOVE this song. Does anyone know a game for this song because that would just be the icing on the silver birch?

These are simple practice slides for practicing syncopa.


Sing and practice the rhythm...


Add the solfege/solfa...


Read on the staff with instruments or hand-signs (with and without solfege labeled)

If you follow Sweet Sounds on Facebook, you already know about the updates for Dance Josey and Turn the Glasses Over.

    

I just can't handle it! How cute is that pirate?!

And I since they both work really well together for teaching low so, I made them a bundle! Save 20% by buying them together! I'm a sucker for a good deal. (See my pre-sale shopping cart for proof.)



Pssssst! It's half off RIGHT NOW! If you want a major steal, go grab this Low So/Sol bundle for 50% off the 20% off bundled price for the first 24 hours! Wait, what?

Ok, last thing before I go: What am I buying tomorrow?

Well, to be honest, I cleared out my wish list at the big TPT sale last week, so I'm being very picky this week. Here's what I want to buy:


Aren't these the CUTEST little monsters to teach about different ensembles?! Tracy King at The Bulletin Board Lady has the BEST stuff! My kids are going to LOVE this! Ok enough SHOUTING! I get so excited.


And check out these adorable wall signs for music symbols from Melody Payne at The Plucky Pianista! I just love them so much! 

And I have a confession. The other day while printing flash cards, I accidentally printed out a full page with this kind of black background on the office printer. (Don't tell my secretary! The page numbers all run together when I'm printing, what can I say?) And oh. my. goodness. I just couldn't stop staring at it. I am keeping it on my desk right now because I just like looking at it. 

So I can't wait to have some signs for my walls like this! And I know it's not on sale, but I really want her instrument cards with black background, too! I see an order to the Print Shop in my future. 

Ok - now stop reading and run over to TPT and see what's on sale!! 

Happy shopping!




No comments:

Post a Comment