Sunday, October 15, 2017

YouTube in the Classroom - without the ads!

You Tube "Popup" Fix

I love using Youtube in my classroom! It's a fantastic source of musical styles, instruments, funny clips, famous musicians, and of course silly instruments made from carrots. Ha!

Currently, I am showing this clip of America the Beautiful to my classes to demonstrate some beautiful vowel shapes. <click below>

As you can see, there are ads before the video begins and ads for videos on the sides. I learned about an awesome popup fix last year that removes the side pictures and the ad at the beginning for most videos!! (not all of them)

Here's the fix: click on the address bar and find the word "watch" with a ? beside it


Between the word "watch" and the ? type in _popup


That's it! Here's what you should see if you do it right:


No ads and no suggested viewing on the side - super easy! It doesn't work on all videos, but it's very helpful for the ones that work.


Biddy, Biddy: Folk Song Fun

My friend Lisa taught me a fantastic non-locomotor game that my older students love! I'm always on the lookout for non-locomotor, non-chase/race games for my students that are differently-abled.

For this game, we sing the song Biddy, Biddy (aka Lost my Gold Ring) in a circle (either seated or standing) and students hold their hands in a cup. I walk around the inside of the circle with a fantastic blingy ring that I think I got at the Wals-marts.
As I walk around the inside of the circle, I have a student walk around the outside, watching my hands. This can easily be adapted - have the students sit in a special chair and watch as I walk around the circle. I drop the ring into someone's hand and at the end of the game, the person who is "it" gets two guesses.

I make it very clear that the students need to act like I gave them the ring even if I didn't drop it in their hands, because we are trying to trick so-and-so who is watching very closely. They become really good actors and try to trick each other into thinking they have the ring. It's a riot!

At the end of the game, I try to pick a student who is a good sport and then I keep the ring and don't drop it in anyone's hand - they love it when I do that! I make sure and thank the student for letting me trick them.

This is a great recording if you don't know the song:


Literature Connection: Little Bunny Foo Foo Play-Along

My Kinder babies love the song Little Bunny Foo Foo! Did you play that hand game when you were a kid? Here are the very simple finger play that I use to teach this in Kindergarten:

Phrase 1: Little bunny Foo Foo went hopping through the forest (bunny hands - 2 finger hop across)
Phrase 2: Scoopin' up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head (scoop with one hand to make a fist, hit the other hand on top)
Phrase 3: Down came the good fairy and she said (jazz fingers sliding down from above the head)
Phrase 4: Little bunny Foo Foo, I don't wanna see you (bunny hop 4x, shake pointer finger 4x)
Phrase 5: Scoopin' up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head (scoop with one hand to make a fist, hit the other hand on top)
Phrase 6: I'll give you 3 more chances (3 fingers up), but if you don't listen (tug on ear), I'll turn you into a goon! (shake finger)
"The next morning..."  and repeat!

Ending: I gave you 3 chances (3 fingers up), but you didn't listen (tug on ear), so I'll turn you into a goon! Poof! (spread hands)
"The moral is: 'Hare today and goon tomorrow!' Sounds like 'Here today and gone tomorrow.'"

It's hilarious and fun and really engaging for a beat activity. After they know it by heart, we do it without saying any words!

This is a fantastic SILENT 'game' to play in the hall in line when you're waiting for the teacher to pick them up, or when you're waiting for an assembly to start. Get a group of kids audiating "Little Bunny Foo Foo" while the rest of the gym is screaming and you'll get some appreciative looks from your admin.

Bring it Back!
Of course I get a little more mileage out of Little Bunny Foo Foo in first grade when I bring it back for instrument play! 

After singing the song, we read this story:

And then we add instruments to our song! 

Woodblocks and claves for the hopping of the bunny each time (on the beat) and a big "bop" on the drums for the "boppin' 'em on the head." When the fairy comes down, we use jingle bells, finger cymbals, triangles or anything magical sounding (chimes!) for her entrance. 

My students love playing this song - it's goofy, but still a good musical experience.

Let’s Connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment