Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Patriotic Music Program: 50 States to Sing About

I happen to love a certain song about the 50 states - I sang it when I was in 5th grade and I still think it's pretty nifty, almost 25 years later!

I like to teach my students the nifty state song for Veterans Day each year. It's a great way to celebrate our country, but also learn something along the way. 



Every year, I assign each student a state to hold during the song. I printed a set of state card props that we use that has one state on each card. I have 2 sets because there are always more than 50 students in my participating grade level. I also make a few extra of our home state, just in case that student doesn't show up at the performance. (AmIRight?)

Write their name on the back of the laminated card with a sharpie - you can wipe it off later by coloring over it with dry erase marker!



After years of printing out the state outlines and cutting them out, gluing them to card stock, writing the state names, laminating, and cutting out one last time, I made some on my computer! These can be sent to the print shop or printed on any color printer. I like to print them on card stock & laminate for durability. 

During the naming of the states section, students hold up their card for 3 seconds and bring it back to ‘ready’ position, under the chin (I say, “1-2-3 and down!”).

For years, I used a fantastic version of the song (McGraw-Hill) that has a slow section, followed by a fast section. The students LOVE holding up their card during the fast section, too - I remind them to count to 3 before bringing their card back down - otherwise “mamaw and pawpaw” in the audience can’t see the state on the card. 

At the end the students raise the cards above their head in a “slow-mo” wave. It’s very simple, but effective!

Surprise on the back!

At the end of the song, the version that I use leaves a blank to fill in your favorite state. If you live in a state with a ginormous amount of state pride, you can print the name of your state on the back of each card. Then, just before it’s time to yell out the best state, have students quietly turn cards around. When it’s time to yell - pop the card up high so the whole crowd can see the state’s name!

For other states, a little saying might be added during the 3-note or 2-note instrumental pause. (For example: Indiana - the best!) You can also write this on the back.

Logistics

Attach a paint stir stick (free from many stores that sell paint!) to the back to make a nice handle. I have also had students place their hands in the middle of the card so that the card doesn’t flop around. Have a student demonstrate the right way & wrong way to hold these.

I have students place their card between their shoes (vertically) while singing all of the other songs in the show. Then, when it’s time to sing, we gently bend our knees and get our state cards ready. 

Make sure to sing this song BEFORE any song that has locomotor movement or feet choreography!! I learned that the hard way!


Fifty Nifty Club 

I got a great idea from my new co-teacher this year! Any kid that can say the 50 states by themselves gets to be in the "Fifty Nifty Club." I'm putting up a big banner and each kid will get their name on a little flag on my wall for being in the Fifty Nifty Club. It's that simple!


Need More Ideas?

Need more ideas for your Veterans Day music performance? I'm sharing all my tips and ideas in my Veterans Day Starter Pack! You'll find resources to print and send home, as well as ideas for movement and decorations! 

Follow Sweet Sounds on Facebook to stay updated on new resources & ideas!


Let’s Connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment