Saturday, November 28, 2015

Christmas in the Music Room - Keeping their Attention in December

It's time to get ready for Christmas! I've had my Christmas tree up for two weeks already- shh!

This time of year has some great musical possibilities with the melodies and rhythms of the holiday season!


You might have to add these to your wish list for your music classroom at Christmas! You can grab these in the Sweet Sounds TpT shop today!

Christmas Rhythm Relays!


I discovered that my students LOVE relay games two years ago when I lost my voice and we couldn't sing our normal Christmas/winter songs. I had seen a relay game on pinterest and thought - why not? It was so much fun! I've always played with 2 teams, but this year I have exceptionally large classes, so I will try with 4 teams. Just print the number of sets you need & you're ready to go!



Santa's Workshop - Smart Board Games!

These were a hit in my classroom last year - I can't wait to share them with my new school of students!

My students love throwing a squishy yarn ball (made by Sister Lorna Zemke!) at the smart board to choose a present to open. After opening the present, they have to read the rhythm to earn a point for their team. Assessment: check!

Then they throw the ball at a student on the opposite team - and my students just LOVE throwing anything.



Freebie!
Here's a fun vocal exploration to use during December! And - it's FREE! 


Follow the path with their finger, a smart board pen, or any crazy pointer you have in your classroom!


Update:
Here are two more of my students' favorite winter activities!

These Freeze games are NON-locomotor, so you can play them in a crowded classroom or in the gym with the whole school. Bonus - the teachers LOVE playing, too, so invite them up to the stage for the last round!

For these freeze games, you say a chant, pick a pose, and then click the screen to see who is out! It's that simple.

If you decide to do the extension music activities, you can easily turn this into your students' favorite takadi improvisation game!



Let’s Connect!

2 comments: